Sunday, January 22, 2012

Introducing Abigail Porter

      Abigail Porter was born Sunday, January 15th at 9:45PM in the Logan Regional Hospital. She weighed 7 lb 15 oz and was 20 1/2 inches long.  Being child #6, I thought I knew the procedure and what to expect. Boy was I wrong............
      Abigal was due on Jan 20th and, although I was already far progressed, dilating and effacing, it was what I expected since all 5 of my previous children had been the same, with the same result -induction. 
      We scheduled the induction for the 20th since Aaron's b-day was the 13th and we thought we'd try and spread them out a bit!  Backing up a bit, I had forgotten what the last month of pregnancy was like (this is why women often have more than one child!) and felt so big and tired (pregnancy along with sleep apnea is not a good mix). Plus, my face was so flush for several weeks and I felt SO self-conscious, especially at church.
      Anyway, I woke up Sunday the 15th feeling a little 'different'. I mentioned things to Aaron and we were both excited, but not, because we didn't want to get our hopes up. He went to his meeting and I got the kids ready for church and off we went. Aaron was giving a talk in Sacrament Meeting (which is last) and I wanted to hear it, plus I had Primary responsibilities.
We made it through church, although I was grateful Rachel needed to go to the bathroom during Sacrament Meeting because it gave me and excuse to walk around and sit on the couch in the foyer. Poor Aaron looked at my beet-red (literally) face the whole time giving his talk thinking I was going to tell him we needed to go to the hospital! Nope, not yet.
      I should also mention that I have never had contractions before my water has broken - and my water has always broken in the hospital. Well, after church, I started having contractions. I remember my mom said she had contractions for a month before I was born, so we still weren't getting our hopes up. Plus, we were having family over for Aaron's 'birthday' party! The contractions weren't too bad and they were about 30 minutes apart. We did mention this to my parent's before they left so they were prepared in case we actually did go into labor and needed them to come back and get the kids!
      Everyone left except Aaron's parents who graciously helped clean everything up, while I felt lazy sitting in my recliner in my bedroom. Soon after, my contractions were about 10 min apart. They left and I went and layed on the couch while Rachel (4 yrs) used this electric massaging thing on my feet and legs. Pretty soon I said, "Aaron, the contractions are every 10 minutes, do you think I should call the hospital?" Silly question, but remember, I had never gone in to labor on my own - and we certainly didn't want to get our hopes up! Aaron said "Yes!" and a few seconds later, my belly did this big jump, I rolled off the couch and my water broke! I told Aaron, everyone got excited and the kids wondered why I was on my hands and knees in pain (having a contraction). Tacy had gone to bed, so she missed the initial excitement and wasn't really very happy when Christopher woke her up to go to Grandma's.
      My water broke at 8:30PM. I called my parents and told them they did need to come get the kids. Christopher and Bryce really took care of things from that point - they were quite excited. They got their clothes ready, Chris got the little suitcases for Tacy and Rachel and got AJ's pj's on and packed for him and they were all ready so fast. They were only a bit worried when mom was standing in the kitchen looking like she was peeing! :)
      Aaron and I were just about to leave the kids w/Chris in charge and go when my parents pulled up. We got to the hospital just after 9PM. I was excited that my doctor, Gary Fowers, was the doctor on-call. They checked me in a room and got me hooked up and then the fun (haha) began. The yucky contractions laying uncomfortably on the hospital bed. When I got there, I was dialted to a 6 1/2. Aaron is always so good with me during contractions and I have to keep talking or I hate it. Every time I had one, I felt like I would throw up and Aaron would stick that little throw up thing (how anyone could get it all in that little thing is beyond me anyway) in my face and I would tell him to get it out of my face! I asked for an epidural although I was pretty sure he wouldn't come in time - and according to Aaron, he and the nurse KNEW it wouldn't happen. But it was making me feel better thinking he might come - although I REALLY hate getting an epidural during contractions.
      To sum it up, I started wanting to push, the nurse checked and I was at a 9 1/2. The doctor still was not there, but the nurse was a pro and knew exactly what to do. I sort of pushed and out she came! No pain meds or anything! Right after, the doctor came in. He delivered the after-birth and stitched me up. And just like that, less than 45 minutes after we got to the hospital, it was over - and I had a beautiful baby girl with lots of dark hair! I am still in shock that it's over - and it's been a week!


PS- A few days before, Aaron said something to Christopher about me not knowing what delivery was like because I always got an epidural and couldn't feel anything. He was, mostly, joking, but now he can't say that anymore! :) Although I don't think I would choose to go naturally, the recovery was SO much better and it was so nice to be able to walk and feel my legs. With AJ, my thighs felt so heavy for so long and it was nice to feel them!


4 comments:

Jessica Jensen said...

I am glad taht aeverything worked out ok. It's amazing how different each one can be. Congrats!

Sandra said...

Congrats! I didn't know you had a blog. I'll have to link ya :)

Day Family Blog said...

Yay she came on her own, what a surprise!!! Sounds like you were a trooper without pain meds! She is beautiful. Take care and hope you can get some rest.

Shannon said...

Congrats! That's so fun that things went differently for you this time, just when you think you have everything figured out, something always changes. And good job on no pain meds!